(1801-1874)« return to database list
Patrick Murphy (1801-1874): son of Robert Murphy and Mary Bailey, was born on his Father's farm near Tomahawk, May 9, 1801. He attended Grove Academy and was largely self-educated. He studied law, was admitted to the Bar and practiced for a time in Fort Fisher, NC, which he represented in the House of Commons in 1829. He moved to Taylor's Bridge Township, Sampson County, and in 1833 married Eliza Ann Faison, and erected a large two-story home on Quwhiffle Creek, where he raised a large family. The original home still stands and is known as the Amos J. Johnson place. In 1838 he was appointed Clerk and Master of the Equity Division of the Superior Court of Sampson County, NC, a position he held for more than twenty-five years. He represented Sampson County in the lower branch of the General Assembly during the War years of 1864 and 1865. He was a prominent layman of the Presbyterian Church, and was one of the first elders of Shiloh Presbyterian Church, parent of the Clinton Presbyterian church. In 1859 he was instrumental in the organization of the Oak Plains Presbyterian church, in Taylor's Bridge Township; and it was in the home of Patrick Murphy in Wilmington, to which town he moved after the War, that the Wilmington Presbytery was organized November 21, 1868. He died November 15, 1874 and is buried at Oak Plains Church, Sam[p]son County. An oil portrait of Patrick Murphy, presented by his grand-son, Charles Williams, of Jacksonville, hangs in the Superior Court Room at Clinton .
Patrick Murphy was born on May 9, 1801, in Sampson County, NC. He died on November 15, 1874.